Arranging disability support

Students who have a disability or impairment can contact Disability Support Services for information and support to help them participate fully in learning.

Who we can help

​Specialist advice and support is offered to students who:

  • Have a confirmed impairment or diagnosis
  • Are D​eaf or hearing-impaired
  • Are blind or vision-impaired
  • Have a specific learning disability (like dyslexia, dyscalculia, Asperger's and autistic spectrum disorders)
  • Have mental health issues
  • Have mobility issues
  • Have an impairment, long-term injury or illness

When to contact us

​​We suggest you contact us as early as possible to discuss how we can help you. However, it is never too late during the course of your studies to seek support and advice.

​Your transcript will not display the support you receive.

Contact us for more information or to book an appointment.

Mobility parking on campus

AUT campuses have mobility parking spaces for students who have a valid CCS Mobility permit. We can provide support and information about parking, including details about parking locations, costs, accessing a dedicated park and financial help to pay for mobility parking costs. Contact us to learn more.

​Identifying the support you need: needs assessment interviews

​We'll invite you to an individual assessment interview, where we'll work with you to identify what support you need for your studies at AUT. The support we offer you is designed to maximise your independence in learning. If needed, AUT can also support you to access an external educational needs assessment.

Your cultural identity and needs are important. You can bring a support person to your interview if you wish, or we can arrange for one of our cultural advisors to be present.

​Verifying your impairment or disability

​Your individual assessment may identify your need for specialist equipment or software, or other types of specific or staff support.

To access the right resources, you need to give documents verifying your impairment or disability.

Documentation types

You must provide one of the following:

  1. Medical evidence of your impairment or condition
  2. Valid supporting professional assessments of your educational needs.

Who can provide verification

You can get verification of your impairment or disability from:

  • An educational psychologist, or similar
  • A primary health care professional​
  • A registered disability provider - like The Foundation for the Blind, Deaf Aotearoa New Zealand
  • AUT's Student Advisor - Mental Health (not a diagnostic service, but will talk with you and your mental health practitioner to confirm diagnoses and needs)

If you're unsure about the documentation you need to provide, contact us at the Student Hub.​

​​Sharing information with your lecturers

We will make sure your lecturers and departments know what support you need and who will provide it.

If there are changes to your programme that affect what you need, you must contact us so that we can review and adapt any arrangements.​

Contact us

Need help or have a question?

Contact Disability Support Services:

Phone: +64 9 921 9210

Website search