Peer support: get help and advice from other students

There’s nothing better than hearing from other students who have been on the same journey – that’s why at AUT you can get support and advice from our many student ambassadors, navigators, peer advisors and RUOK advisors who are all senior AUT students.

They're from various backgrounds and studying different AUT programmes, but they can all relate to your experiences as a student and offer you help and advice.

Getting support at Orientation and in your first semester

Student ambassadors

Student ambassadors are current AUT students who volunteer their time to welcome new AUT students and help them settle in during their first semester.

They also volunteer at events throughout the year.

Student ambassadors and how to become one

Meet our student ambassadors at Orientation

You'll meet our student ambassadors at Orientation, giving new students a chance to talk to senior students and ask them anything, from study tips and great places​ to eat, to where to go if they need support.

AUT ORIENTATION

Three AUT Students

Ongoing support during your studies

Peer advisors

Our peer advisors are current AUT students who work with the advisors at the Student Hub to provide solutions when you're looking for help.

They're the student ambassadors you would have met during Orientation.

What they can help with

• Student ID cards
  • Enrolment issues
  • Wayfinding and other general issues students face every day

RUOK advisors

Look out for RUOK advisors in teal RUOK t-shirts on campus around lunch time. They're current AUT students who you can talk to about anything that’s on your mind.

What they can help with

• Finding your way around
  • Connecting you with student services and resources
  • Making sure you feel like you belong at AUT

RUOK advisors

RUOK advisors are senior AUT students from different backgrounds and programmes who can relate to your experiences. Follow them on their social pages and connect with them online if you need someone to chat with.

facebook-logo instagram-logo

Oceanian Leadership Network

Our Oceanian Leadership Network is an inclusive interconnected group of students from different faculties, schools and campuses across AUT who are passionate about educational achievement and focuses on students developing their own successes through leadership and service to others.

Email pacific@aut.ac.nz

instagram-logo

Hear from other students

Amanda D’Souza

Amanda D’Souza

Bachelor of Business in Information Systems
“Becoming an AUT student ambassador and leading orientation was an awesome experience. I remember how orientation helped me feel more confident when I started uni, so it felt great to give back and help other new students.”
Mulisa Debela

Mulisa Debela

Master of Public Health
Bachelor of Health Science in Health Promotion
“I benefitted from the student-led-academic support programme run by the Office of Pacific Advancement. As a mature student, I was supporting other students on how to do the assignments and study for exams. I’d like to encourage future students to use all the available support services and resources at AUT.”
Yuliang (Kate) Zhai

Yuliang (Kate) Zhai

Bachelor of Business in International Business and Strategy
“Joining the student ambassador team gave me a chance to give back to AUT as I appreciated the support I received as a student. I was part of the RUOK advisors team, which was amazing. It showed that we care about students and provided opportunities to help them through difficult times like exam periods.”
Kayne Bell

Kayne Bell

Bachelor of Business in Marketing and Event Management
“One of my biggest highlights was living on campus and serving as a resident assistant at the AUT student accommodation. I found so much joy in organising and creating unique events and experiences for students, not to mention all the friends I made along the way.”
Eteroa Tusipepa Lafaele

Eteroa Tusipepa Lafaele

Bachelor of Computer and Information Sciences in Software Development
“My lightbulb moment was when I was in my second year at AUT and doing work for the AUT Oceanian Leadership Network to encourage more Māori and Pacific people to get involved in science, technology, engineering and maths. Seeing my people discover that they too can be in technology sparked something in me.”

Contact us

AUT Student reps

Need help or have a question? Contact our team if you’re currently studying at AUT.

Email studentamb@aut.ac.nz

Residential assistants in accommodation

AUT WQ City campus tour

Live in AUT student accommodation? Our residential assistants can help direct you to the right person or service if you need any support. They also complete fortnightly welfare checks – a chance to touch base to check how you’re doing and any support you may need.

AUT accommodation

MENA student mentoring programme

This mentoring programme for Middle Eastern and North African (MENA) students in the Faculty of Design and Creative Technologies aims to support student success through peer-to-peer mentoring, and access to library services, Studiosity, tutoring support and AUT’s Employability Lab. Get in touch if you're interested in joining or want more information.

Contact us

Nabil Sabra
Email nabil.sabra@aut.ac.nz